Poker has been played in various forms since the early 18th century, and considering the fast pace with which our society tosses away concepts, inventions and entertainment, the fact that it’s still being played by millions of people daily says an awful lot about this unique gambling proposition. Online poker is just the next installment in the ever-evolving but never forgotten poker series. Get to know the rules, tricks and nuances of the cards, and then visit one of our online poker sites to get your game on.
Pull up a chair at one of our live or casino card tables from the best online poker sites and see if you’ve got what it takes to be a winner:
The rules for online poker vary slightly from one version to the next, but the basic concept remains the same. Players attempt to make the highest-valued combination with the five cards they are dealt. Hands remain concealed throughout the game until the rounds of betting and swapping of cards have been completed. The most important information in classic or online poker are the hand values. Here are the fundamental hands and their values in increasing order:
- High Card: Five random cards strung together, this is the least valuable set.
- Pair: Two cards of the same value (two nines, for example) with three random cards.
- Two Pairs: As implied by the name, two pairs are two sets of two cards of the same value (example: two fours and two sixes) and one random card.
- Three of a Kind: Three cards of the same value and two random cards.
- Straight: A straight hand contains five cards with sequential numbers (2, 3, 4, 5 and 6).
- Flush: A flush is a hand with five cards of the same suit.
- Full House: This hand contains two sets; one set consisting of two cards of the same value and one set consisting of three cards of the same value (two eight’s and three four’s).
- Four of a Kind: Naturally, four cards of the same value and one random card.
- Straight Flush: Five cards that are in a straight sequence and of the same suit (5, 6, 7, 8 and 9 of hearts).
- Royal Flush: The highest valued hand in poker is the royal flush. Five cards in a straight sequence and of the same suit, starting with an ace (ace, king, queen, jack and ten).
The dealer will deal out five cards face down to everyone playing. Online poker sites let you play both live poker with many other punters and online poker, which allows you to play multiple hands simultaneously. Players then need to decide if they want to keep certain cards or discard them. Bets are placed throughout, and the winner is the player holding the highest hand value.
Different Varieties Of Online Poker
Now that you have a foundation, you can begin exploring the colourful spin-offs that online poker sites have developed over the years. Since players already know the basic rules, we’ll just highlight the differences in these versions.
- Texas Hold’em: Two cards, known as hole cards, are dealt to each player. Now players can fold, raise or call, and play continues up to four rounds, at which point a winner is determined by the rank of their hands.
- Omaha: Players receive four cards and two cards must be used to make your winning hand. Limits are usually set in an Omaha online poker
- Don’t forget some less common variations of online poker Canada might not be familiar with. Games like Irish Poker, 7-Card Stud and Hi-Lo games are just as exciting, though, less seen among the online poker sites.
Mobile Online Poker
Mobile poker is a thrilling experience that keeps the excitement of online poker alive wherever you are. Various devices are supported currently, and technology is only getting better, so players can expect to enjoy more advanced and feature-rich versions of mobile online poker Canada can really sink its teeth into. While apps and web-based play is available for both iOS and Android users, here are a few notably unique aspects of mobile gaming:
- iPad: Playing mobile online poker is even more entrancing and captivating than on a standard mobile phone. The larger screens offers clearer and more detailed images, while the touch screen enables new capabilities that keep the game flowing rapidly and realistically.
- iPhone: Because of their inability to support Flash, iOS users cannot access web-based poker games, and you aren’t going to find any Apple-sanctioned poker apps just yet. But the heart wants what the heart wants, so rogue developers have established their own mobile poker apps that Canadian punters can take advantage of as well.
- Android: These devices are the lucky winners because Android users have the easiest access to online poker games in areas such as the UK and Canada. All web-based poker rooms are available to these users, and they’re taking advantage of the easy access.
- Blackberry and Windows phone users can also find plenty of poker room action appropriate for their specific devices.
Different Online Playing Options
If you’re ready to kick things up a notch and graduate from basic level online poker sites or live casinos on the big brands, then you are in luck because there are variations on the theme that are going to thrill you to the core.
- Tournament: Tournament style poker is one of the most exciting options for a Canadian punter. Thousands of players converge with a single purpose; enjoy the gambling challenge they all have in common. See if you are man enough to beat the competition at a tournament table, and win big.
- Sit and Go: Also known as SNG, Sit and Go games are the mix between table tournaments and ring poker, and they’re probably the fastest thing you’ll ever play. Tables of between six and ten people await anxious gamblers and when the table is full, gameplay begins. Players compete to gain chips and win the grand prize.
Casino Poker Games
Now you can see why everyone loves online poker. In fact, it has become so popular, that many casinos have crafted unique, casino-based poker games. Games like Caribbean Stud poker cater to the online casino community, as they are played against the dealer, rewarding players with major winnings and, even more, endless satisfaction from one of the most challenging gambling quests around today.